A treat for the eyes and taste buds. You’re not going to get any complaints with this salad at the next BBQ. GBBO’s Chetna takes us to the heart of Indian spice and colour in her new book, Chetna’s Healthy Indian.
100ml (31⁄2fl oz) natural yogurt
Teaspoon ground cumin
Teaspoon ground turmeric
1 tablespoon sunflower oil
225g (8oz) paneer, cut into rectangles
200g (7oz) mixed salad leaves
Sliced red chilli to garnish
For the dressing:
2 teaspoons olive oil
6 garlic cloves, roughly chopped
25g (1oz) toasted peanuts
1 red chilli, roughly chopped
2 tablespoons water
1. Firstly, prepare the paneer. Combine the yogurt, cumin, turmeric and salt in a bowl. Add the paneer pieces, mix well and leave to marinate for 10 minutes.
2. To make the dressing, heat one teaspoon of the oil in a large frying pan over medium heat. Add the garlic and cook for one minute, then add the peanuts, chilli and salt and cook for a few seconds more.
3. Transfer the peanut mixture to a mini food processor, add the remaining oil and the measured water and blitz the mixture to a paste.
4. Set the frying pan you used to make the dressing over medium heat.
5. Heat the sunflower oil then add the paneer pieces and fry for one minute on each side, until slightly golden. Transfer them to a bowl, cover closely with clingfilm (to keep the paneer soft) and set aside while you prepare the salad. Arrange the salad leaves in a large serving bowl. Pour over the dressing and toss well. Lay the paneer pieces on top, scatter over some sliced red chilli to garnish and serve immediately.